WORDS TO KNOW
TEAMS AND LEADERS
INTRO TO JOURNALISM
TELLING THE STORY
THEME AND VOICE
COVERING YOUR SCHOOL
REPORTING AND WRITING
LAYOUT AND DESIGN
TOOLS OF THE TRADE
PEOPLE AND INDEX
5-WEEK WORK CYCLE
Download Worksheet PDFs
WEEK 1: Preparation
What is the story you want to tell on this spread?
Brainstorm your coverage; pitch your ideas to the staff.
Decide on whom to cover, then how to cover them.
Crowdsource options for material.
Assign photographers to obtain photos.
– What types of photos can you get/take?
– How can you coach students/others to take photos for you that you can use?
Assign writers to do some fact-finding.
– How will you do interviews?
Look for design inspiration and possible modes of coverage.
WEEK 2: Performance
look for photo opportunities each day.
– Check school/student social media.
– Upload, tag and sort photos.
look for story opportunities each day.
– Determine how you will tell each story on the spread.
– Reach out, craft questions, conduct interviews.
– Upload recorded interviews (otter.ai).
choose mode of coverage and design spread based on inspo.
– Work with the photographers and writers to build mods that tell the stories.
check for variety: mode of coverage, people, topics. Provide feedback on elements.
WEEK 3: Production
write copy based on your story form choice.
– Conduct additional interviews if needed.
– Best photo should become dominant photo.
– Adjust layout as needed to accommodate photos in hand.
design spread using inspiration and in consultation with writers and photographers so content is featured in an impactful way.
check in on spread progress regularly and provide feedback/redirection as needed.
WEEK 4: Polish
Write captions for all photos.
Get additional headshots/quotes needed to finish content.
Design/write headlines, subheadlines, bylines.
Finalize design, check spacing, maintain margins.
EDITORS AND ADVISER
– check Style Guide and compare
Draft is ready to share for feedback and critique from staff.
WEEK 5: Proof
Print spread (if at all possible).
Proof all copy (read aloud to someone else).
Check spread against Style Guide.
– font choices
– spacing (margins – external and internal)
– readability (especially if type is on a photo or background)
Verify name spellings with Master List.
Confirm folio is accurate: spread content/section/etc.
EDITORS AND ADVISER
give feedback: quality/accuracy/consistency.
Back to Pivot Section
Back to Covering Your School
Scroll to top