MAKING OF A MANUAL
A staff manual can make life easier by providing needed information and guidelines to staffers. This booklet is designed to give you suggestions on content and some samples.
SUGGESTED MANUAL CONTENTS
• Letter from adviser (sample included)
• Letter from editors
• Mission statement (sample included)
• Classroom rules
• Grading information
• Overview of tasks
• Power structure of staff (sample included)
• Job descriptions
• Glossary of basic terms
• Basic yearbook information (necessary parts, description of signatures, ladder)
• Specific information on design, interviewing, writing copy, writing captions, scanning and photo composition
• Deadline calendars (sample included)
• List of coaches for all sports and their phone numbers
• List of advisers for all groups and the regular group meeting times
• Master schedule with all teacher’s classes and classrooms
• Master list of all students with grade level
What works best for us is to include all the information in a three-ring binder (1/2 inch or inch size) with pockets. That way new information can be added as it becomes available. Revisions also can be handled easily this way. We buy crack-and-peel full size labels to run through the laser writer so we can customize and personalize each notebook.
Herff Jones Special Consultant
Former JEA Yearbook Adviser of the Year
SAMPLE STAFF MANUAL
Click the VIEW PDF button to see the yearbook staff manual created and used by Lynn Strause while serving as adviser of the Ceniad at East Lansing HS, East Lansing, MI.